RE: -- More -- RE: Facilitating discovery of IP Objects

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: -- More -- RE: Facilitating discovery of IP Objects
From: "Allison, Jason (JALLISON)" <JALLISON@arinc.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 16:06:56 -0400
Thanks again for the email, sorry for being so sparatic with my thoughts.

Well you have succeeded in confusing me about what you are trying to do.
I thought you were trying to get a normal object into topology and have
netmon and ipmap manage it.
- Yes, however, just performing a loadhosts does not seem to do the whole
job.

 Then netmon has to be able to get to it.
- Yes, but when?

 Why would polling be turned off?  You cannot get any status on an object,
let alone correct status, if netmon cannot poll it -- it will stay blue
forever.
netmon is going to have to poll your object successfully or there is no
point in adding it.  If he can't then its status will never be right.
- My environment is very different from all others, and I am in no way
saying it is the -correct- approach, however it is something I am stuck with
until piece by piece, I can change it all ;).  Some of the serial links
throughout my system do not permit me to have polling on.  They are set to
'8y'.  This is not for the entire system, but some places.  What this means
is I will only get one poll upon startup and then my 'proprietary protocol'
is used to change object status.  The situation is I want to 'add' one of
these devices.

loadhosts puts an object in the topology database.  netmon loads that
topology.  nothing happens after that unless netmon updates the topology
with status, and generates a trap which gets delivered to ipmap.  It is
netmon activity which ultimately drives ipmap while the GUI is up.  If the
GUI is down, when ipmap comes up, he asks ovtopmd for all changes in
topology since his close time, and makes changes to the map accordingly.
That is the process known as synchronization.  So dropping your GUI and
restarting it might make your object show up, but then again maybe not,
depending upon what it is.  But that allone won't get it to have the correct
status from that point forward.
- This all makes sense, thank you for filling in some holes.  So to refine
my problem definition some, I am looking for a way, upon a operators demand,
add an object to the database, and syncronize only that object to facilitate
it being delivered to ipmap.

I am planning a trip to the NOC to research this problem some more.  Aside
from the netcheck, what other commands can I use to give me more insight
into the problem?

Thanks again for your time,
Jason

James Shanks
Level 3 Support
Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software
IBM Software Group
Please note that my new id is jshanks@us.ibm.com

        "Allison, Jason (JALLISON)" <JALLISON@arinc.com>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@tkg.com

10/09/2001 03:08 PM
Please respond to IBM NetView Discussion