Re: dns/host/win2k dns and netview

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: dns/host/win2k dns and netview
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 12:47:12 -0400
Most places where I have been just truncate it on the T/EC side.

Detroit

                    netview@toddh.

                    net (Todd H.)        To:     IBM NetView Discussion
<nv-l@tkg.com>
                    Sent by:             cc:

                    owner-nv-l@tkg       Subject:     Re: [NV-L] dns/host/win2k
dns and
                    .com                  netview

                    10/23/01 12:25

                    PM

                    Please respond

                    to IBM NetView

                    Discussion

Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk> writes:
> I'm not sure what the heartache is over long names.

The issue comes up forus when forwarding TEC events and doing
automated ticketing.  The hostname chews up a large % of available
screen  width on a one-line problem description.

If you use NetView with DNS and  with the internal TEC adapter, you
have no hooks to shorten that FQDN in alerts that are sent to TEC.

Unless I've missed something, choices are to hack name resolution
(which is ugly), hack the selection name (which sounds risky), abandon
the internal tec adapter and send everything to a script that does
postemsg, or do something on the TEC side (which may or may not strain
an overworked TEC).

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/