RE: FW: [nv-l] Subnet Mask discovery problem

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: FW: [nv-l] Subnet Mask discovery problem
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 18:58:15 -0500
I sent a really good answer to this a couple of days ago, to
a bad address in Spain instead of the list. I'll see if I can remember it.

It is not a matter of modifying a file. First, make sure that the
production Netview can see the node the same way the
lab netview sees it: Use' Monitor...Network Configuration..
Addresses'. If Netview can see the correct addresses and
masks, then it is a discovery error. There are probably
error messages in netmon.trace and maybe in the events
display telling you that the node is in the wrong subnet  and
advising you to delete and rediscover the node. Sometimes
netview will discover something without snmp, and will guess
at the mask based on the address. Later, it realizes its mistake,
but it cannot always move nodes by itself. Check the address
of the subnet that the current interfaces are on (tools...Display
Object Info). Maybe the subnet is correct, and maybe it is not.
If it is not, you should delete the subnet, to discourage netmon
from making the same mistake again.

If Netview cannot see the node via SNMP, clear that problem
up first. Just because the lab netview can see it, there is no
guarantee that the production netview can see it.

Detroit

                    z_esm_karekars

                    <z_esm_karekars@bharatpetr       To:     "'Paul'"
<pstroud@bellsouth.net>
                    oleum.com>                       cc:
"'nv-l@lists.tivoli.com'"
                                                      <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>

                    01/25/02 01:06 AM                Subject:     RE: FW:
[nv-l] Subnet Mask
                                                      discovery problem

Hello Paul,

We have two similar environment for NetView Server, one in LAB Environment
and other in Production Environment.

I had confirmed the Subnet Mask set on the Server interface is perfect as
well the same discovered by our LAB NetView Server, for e.g. I had checked
for two out of a list of such, with IP 10.112.15.126 & Mask 255.255.255.0 &
other 10.112.15.96 with Mask 255.255.255.0

It is shown perfect in LAB Environment NetView Server. Where as in
Production NetView Server it show as, 10.112.15.126 shows Mask
255.255.255.248, & 10.112.15.126 shows Mask 255.0.0.0

Can U please advice which file or table we can modify manually so that the
mask get set to normal.

Regards,
Santosh