Fwd: Re: [nv-l] netview heartbeating

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Fwd: Re: [nv-l] netview heartbeating
From: Xu He <xuhe@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 07:40:17 -0800 (PST)
Note: forwarded message attached.

=====
Xu He
Senior Network Engineer
Verisign, Inc.
http://www.verisign.com
(o)704-378-1398
(c)704-231-7186

http://sports.yahoo.com
--- Begin Message ---
To: neil.wood1@barclays.co.uk
Subject: Re: [nv-l] netview heartbeating
From: Xu He <xuhe@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 07:13:41 -0800 (PST)
Neil,

Netview with its polling function is like a heartbeat checker.  It pings
periodically and verify weather the device is up or down.  The DM
implementation of Heartbeat, if I remember correctly is for the endpoints to
send periodic events periodically to TEC.  There's a rule in TEC that check
whether a heartbeat was received in a specific interval, if it did not a new
event shows up on TEC.  The heartbeat monitor was primary implemented to make
sure that the DM engine was running.  IMHO, it was just a temporary fix to the
DM Engine dying or the endpoint hanging problems.

Depend on what are you trying to monitor, it dictates whether a heartbeat
monitor is useful at all.  If you just monitoring up-and-down status of a box,
netview is designed for that.  If you are trying to monitor whether a NT
Service is hung but still show up as running in Service Viewer, and you can
determine that the reason that the service is hung is that a log file stopped
getting updated.  Then a customized heartbeat monitor could be useful.

>From a network standpoint, ICMP echo (PING) is always more efficient than 1
wpostemsg or postemsg.

just my $0.02
Xu

--- neil.wood1@barclays.co.uk wrote:
> Netviewers
>
> It has been sugested that we use netview as a means of heartbeating  instead
> of Distributed Monitoring.   This seems logical,  however looking through
> the  archives I am unable to find any instances of this?
> Are there any reasons why DM would provide a better solution than netview
> for heartbeating,  or any reasons netview shouldn't be used?
> Hope this question isn't too simplistic.
>
> Thanks Neil
>
> Internet communications are not secure and therefore the Barclays Group
> does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message.
> Although the Barclays Group operates anti-virus programmes, it does not
> accept responsibility for any damage whatsoever that is caused by
> viruses being passed.  Any views or opinions presented are solely those
> of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Barclays
> Group.  Replies to this email may be monitored by the Barclays Group
> for operational or business reasons.

> *NOTE*
> This is not an Offical Tivoli Support forum. If you need immediate
> assistance from Tivoli please call the IBM Tivoli Software Group
> help line at 1-800-TIVOLI8(848-6548)

=====
Xu He
Senior Network Engineer