[nv-l] Community in traps ?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: [nv-l] Community in traps ?
From: "Philippe Menard" <PME@fr.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 11:07:06 +0100
All,

Just in case : AIX 4.3.3 ML 9 + NV 6.0

I'm trying to understand why the trapd.logs of a NetView server
contain 1000s authenticationFailure traps per day. These traps
are sent by both MLMs and network devices although the read
and write communities *are* OK.

I suspect they are caused by the community used in traps.

Has anyone a clear understanding of how the MLMs and NetView
handle communities in traps ?

Q1 : does the MLM check the community in a trap it receives
     from a network device ?
Q2 : does the MLM assume the "public" community ?
Q3 : if not, where is the expected community defined in the MLM ?
     snmpd.conf ? I could find no field in the APM policy windows.
Q4 : does the MLM replace the trap community when forwarding
     a trap to the NetView server ?
Q5 : where is this new community defined in the MLM ?
     snmpd.conf ? which statement(s) ?
Q6 : does the NetView server check the community in a trap
     it receives from an MLM ? (it could be considered that
     the MLM-NV TCP connection provides enough security [?] )
Q7 : does the NetView server check the community in a trap
     it receives from a network device ?
Q8 : does the NetView server assume the "public" community ?
     any difference between the Q6 and Q7 cases ?
Q9 : where in the NetView server is/are the expected trap
     communities defined ? snmpd.conf ? which statements ?

Quite some questions I'm afraid ! Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Philippe.

- - -

Philippe MÉNARD