Re: [nv-l] Community in traps ?

To: "Philippe Menard" <PME@fr.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Community in traps ?
From: netview@toddh.net (Todd H.)
Date: 28 Feb 2002 10:53:33 -0600
Cc: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
"Philippe Menard" <PME@fr.ibm.com> writes:

> All,
>
> Just in case : AIX 4.3.3 ML 9 + NV 6.0
>
> I'm trying to understand why the trapd.logs of a NetView server
> contain 1000s authenticationFailure traps per day. These traps
> are sent by both MLMs and network devices although the read
> and write communities *are* OK.

Is it possible any other snmp managers are tying to query the devices
and using the wrong communities?

Thought I can't recall the exact order, NetView also tries a few
communities in an attempt to do its SNMP polling, so it may be
possible NetView is causing the auth failures even though you appear
to have the correct communities set for that class of device.  There
is a precedence in how it chooses which to try first if a class of
device falls into more than one category in SNMP configuration.

> I suspect they are caused by the community used in traps.

I doubt it.   The devices wouldn't be giving the auth failure in that
case.  The snmp manager would...but as another poster said, most often
snmp managers simply ignore the community string in traps sent by the
devices to the snmp manager.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/