Re: [nv-l] Community in traps ?

Subject: Re: [nv-l] Community in traps ?
From: Jeff Fitzwater <jfitz@Princeton.EDU>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 15:09:24 -0500
Cc: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com, Philippe Menard <PME@fr.ibm.com>
Dermott wrote:

> Hey Philippe,
> Here's something I posted a while ago that may be of help to you in trying
> to find the cause of the auth fail traps:
>
> Try formatting the trap as follows:
> Cisco_Auth_Failure {1.3.6.1.4.1.9} 4 0 A 2 0 "Status Events"
> Cisco Incorrect Community Name (authenticationFailure Trap) authAddr: $1
>
> This should show the address of the box that caused the authentication
> failure
> on the Cisco router - only cisco though, I dont think other vendors have
> populated
> the trap with this varbind.
>
> If it is a cisco box you could also loop thru all the routers in your
> collection/Smart set  to see who caused previous authentication failures
> just as an fyi,
> since they may be the culprits causing authentication failures against other
> boxes that dont report the failures.
> The authAddr is a cisco local variable,
> snmpwalk  cisco_box 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.1.5.
> yielding:
> cisco.local.lsystem.authAddr.0 : IpAddress:     10.10.8.39
>
> Good Luck,
> --Dermott

The CISCO routers, if set up correctly will show you the source in a trap.  But
as I mentioned in earlier mail, it is probably HP printer software on clients
that use SNMP with dest of BROADCAST packets to find printers.   So every
device on that segment get the SNMP request including the routers, if
present.   If you see different devices at the same time sending you AUTH
failures, then this is most likely the problem.

Jeff Fitzwater
OIT Systems & Networking
Princeton University