Re: [nv-l] MLM Discovery

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] MLM Discovery
From: "Stephen Hochstetler" <shochste@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 17:50:34 -0500
Maxime,

No, an MLM only discovers the subnet that it exists in.   It does not go
out to routers and read ARP and route tables to go beyond the subnet.
But since MLM uses ICMP to do status, this allows polling beyond the local
subnet.   The polling function is something that all of us discovered works
fairly well, but was not the original intent for the MLM.

I have not tried, but I wonder if you could setup an snmp proxy instead of
an MLM.   The proxy would have network access to both NetView and the
managed resources.   Then you would configure NetView to use this snmp
proxy when trying to access the managed resources via snmp.    You would
configure netmon to manage those with snmp only (you say icmp fails).   You
would then use loadhosts to load those devices into NetView.    If
loadhosts will not load them because it cannot ping them, try loading them
with the parm to load unmanaged.

I don't have a system to try all this on, but if you try this and it works,
please let me know, I am curious.

Kind regards,
Stephen Hochstetler              shochste@us.ibm.com
International Technical Support Organization  - Austin
Office - 512-436-8564                      FAX - 512-436-8701

ITSO redbooks at  http://www.redbooks.ibm.com

                      Maxime

                      TRANNOY/France/Cont        To:
nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
                      r/IBM@IBMFR                cc:

                                                 Subject:  [nv-l] MLM Discovery

                      06/11/2002 10:58 AM

Hi,

I know that's it is possible to poll  from an MLM an equipment which is
outside its Network. ( By the use of rules on the MLM smarstet)
But is it possible for an MLM  to discover and poll an equipment outside
its network, furthermore this equipment could not been ping by Netview.

Cordialement.

Maxime TRANNOY
IGS - Network Delivery Support Center
Tel : +33 (0) 492 114 767