Re: [nv-l] MLM Discovery

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] MLM Discovery
From: "Stephen Hochstetler" <shochste@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 11:53:13 -0500
Maxime,

Thanks for a good note.  Now I understand what is happening.    The MLM is
designed to go behind a slow link, thus it sends the least amount of traps
(by design).    You are also being bit by some changes that have been made
in NetView 6 and 7.  There were some issues that when you pinged an
interface that NetView would not quickly update the status, so they put
that fix in.   However, this assumes that NetView can ping every
interface....including those managed by MLMs.

MLM will send status traps for all managed interfaces to NetView at startup
time...because the MLM does not know if NetView has the proper status or
not...so it makes sure.   Then the MLM will only send a status trap when a
change of status occurs (as the MLM knows it)....this minimizes the traffic
as mentioned before.

So you are running, then you try to ping an interface with NetView...
NetView is now coded to change the status via the ping quickly.   Since you
cannot ping from NEtView, interface goes red at NetView.    But it is up
and pingable by MLM.   But until a status changes at MLM or the MLM is
recycled, it will not send in status traps..updating the icon back to
green.

The answer --- don't ping an interface in NetView that is managed by MLM
and not pingable by NetView.

How to recover...you would need to recycle your MLM.

Kind regards,
Stephen Hochstetler              shochste@us.ibm.com
International Technical Support Organization  - Austin
Office - 512-436-8564                      FAX - 512-436-8701

ITSO redbooks at  http://www.redbooks.ibm.com

                      Maxime

                      TRANNOY/France/Cont        To:
nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
                      r/IBM@IBMFR                cc:

                                                 Subject:  Re: [nv-l] MLM
Discovery
                      06/13/2002 07:20 AM

Hi,

thanks for your reply. To answer your questions

1. My equipment is in the smarset  mlmDomain and also in MLM Managed ( On
the map under the icon of the MLM)
2.The trap forwarding between Netview and the MLM works.
3.I have checked with the command netmon -a 102. The equipment is monitored
by the MLM.
I have also checked with the command  netmon -a 12. The IP address of the
equipment is also there. (I think it should not be there because this is
the netmon polling list). Is it possible to delete it from the list?

The node down/ node up seems to work
When I ask Netview to ping it the icon goes red (which is normal because i
can not ping my equipment from netview) but it doesn't change back to
green, even after waiting for several hours.

Cordialement.

Maxime TRANNOY
IGS - Network Delivery Support Center
Tel : +33 (0) 492 114 767