Re: [nv-l] MLM Discovery

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] MLM Discovery
From: "Maxime TRANNOY" <MTRANNOY@fr.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 17:37:29 +0200
Cc: "James Shanks" <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Hi,

I have tested the loadhosts command to load the equipment into my netview
map an database.
This equipment was on my IP Map and in the smartset of the MLM that can
ping it.
The MLM take it into account because i can saw it in the MLM status monitor
table, in addition with a sniffer I can see the ICMP packet from my MLM to
my equipment.
But the problem is that the icon is red on my Netview maps and sometime
turn green but it is red most of the time.

Stephen I did not try with the SNMP proxy because i don't have one.

Cordialement.

Maxime TRANNOY
IGS - Network Delivery Support Center
Tel : +33 (0) 492 114 767
mailto:mtrannoy@fr.ibm.com

                      James

                      Shanks@IBMUS             To:      Maxime
TRANNOY/France/Contr/IBM@IBMFR
                                               cc:

                      11-06-2002 18:39         From:    James
Shanks/Raleigh/IBM
                                               Subject: Re: [nv-l] MLM
Discovery(Document link: Maxime TRANNOY)

MLM will not discover outside its network, period.
And NetView will not discover a node it cannot ping at least once.
You might try using loadhosts to load this object and then see if once
loaded and moved to the MLM Smartset if MLM can status poll it.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

                      Maxime

                      TRANNOY/France/Cont        To:
nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
                      r/IBM@IBMFR                cc:

                                                 Subject:  [nv-l] MLM Discovery

                      06/11/02 11:58 AM

Hi,

I know that's it is possible to poll  from an MLM an equipment which is
outside its Network. ( By the use of rules on the MLM smarstet)
But is it possible for an MLM  to discover and poll an equipment outside
its network, furthermore this equipment could not been ping by Netview.