Re: [nv-l] Root Authority

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Root Authority
From: jshanks@us.ibm.com
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 13:38:27 -0400
My question is, why aren't you a member of the AIX group?  NetView is an
important enterprise management tool.  It is designed to be installed and
administered by someone who has root authority and the experience as an
administrator on whatever platform  it is installed on to use that
authority properly.  It is assumed that you can alter files like
/etc/hosts, etc/filesystems, etc/snmpd.conf and a host of others that
require root authority to edit.   Over time, either you will have to
become a member of the AIX group, or they will have to assign someone to
work with you who has that authority.   IBM recommends that the NetView
Administrator have root authority on the NetView box.  We always have. You
will see that all over the documentation.  It will just say things like
"(you must be logged in as root)".  You can search the Installation or
Admin Guides and see that.

All the documentation and all the procedures are written assuming that the
NetView Administrator has root authority..   If for political reasons,
your AIX group  wants to have someone else install the product, and sudo
for you, and set up sudo so you can do all the things that you must
otherwise have root authority to do, then fine.  But that just means you
have to have one of them as your buddy and that he/she will spend a lot of
time working with you.  In other words, you will need two people to do the
job, instead of just one.  That is an alternative, and I think  a silly
one, but ultimately someone must have root authority or they cannot
successfully install and administer the product.    That's all there is
too it.

Operators don't need root authority, but administrators do.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

Herman.E.Caballero@Lowes.Com
06/26/2002 12:04 PM