RE: [nv-l] Root Authority

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Root Authority
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 07:57:07 -0400
Of the one hundred or so sites where I have implemented Netview, I have
encountered only three that absolutely would not give root to the Netview
administrator. In all three cases those customers followed a policy of
pushing out a common /etc/passwd file to all AIX systems, so a common
root password was in use for all systems.  Not a fashionable approach,
but not all that uncommon.

Some sites add a non-root userid with an effective uid of 0, allowing
most function without the user needing to know root's password. I have
not seen this lately and don't know what the limitations might be if any.
The sudo approach is pretty common and seems to work well.

Many sites with strict AIX support teams simply opt out of AIX support.
They would rather go it alone than put up with the delays involved in
getting someone to come over and type something in for them.

I personally always put it right in the contract that I will have root
access
while I am onsite implementing Netview. Time is money, after all.

Detroit

                      bernard.baudoux@for

                      tisbank.com                To:
"'nv-l@lists.tivoli.com'" <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
                                                 cc:

                      06/27/2002 01:51 AM        Subject:  RE: [nv-l] Root
Authority

Herman,

You must have root authority to administer your Netview.
I'm not a member of the Unix team here, but I have the Netview box root's
password.   I just use it for Netview purposes.   As far as pure AIX is
concerned, then the Unix team do the job.

I don't really understand why having the Netview box root's password could
'accidentally bring other systems down'.   As long as you work on your  own
box and not on the others, I can't see any problem.

Regards,
Bernard Baudoux
Fortis Banque.