Re: [nv-l] Root Authority

To: bernard.baudoux@fortisbank.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Root Authority
From: netview@toddh.net (Todd H.)
Date: 27 Jun 2002 15:20:23 -0500
Cc: "'nv-l@lists.tivoli.com'" <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
bernard.baudoux@fortisbank.com writes:
> Herman,
>
> You must have root authority to administer your Netview.  I'm not a
> member of the Unix team here, but I have the Netview box root's
> password.  I just use it for Netview purposes.  As far as pure AIX
> is concerned, then the Unix team do the job.
>
> I don't really understand why having the Netview box root's password
> could 'accidentally bring other systems down'.  As long as you work
> on your own box and not on the others, I can't see any problem.

The technical answer: You need root in some way to administer netview
in any supported capacity.

Now, to solve the political problem.  If the support team doesn't
understand that network management is just as sensitive as OS
management, then cheerfully hand them NetView and good tidings.

If the OS group and the network management group can't trust each
other, you're on your way to getting very little done, I'm afraid.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/