[nv-l] NetView on Intel/Linux vs RISC/AIX

To: "'nv-l'" <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
Subject: [nv-l] NetView on Intel/Linux vs RISC/AIX
From: "Gow Kevin (KTSO 4)" <kevin.gow@csfs.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 12:00:01 +0200
I got to thinking, and that can be a dangerous thing,
but this is what I wondered:

Intel based boxes can be pretty powerful nowadays.
Take a 4 processor, 4 gig of memory, put Linux on
the box to optimise the use all the potential. You
have yourself one mean machine here.

How would this compare to an AIX system of similar
spec? Price? Performance? If performance is similar,
the Intel box should win on price. No?

Now NetView 7.1.2 can run on the Intel platform
under Linux.

Won't this be a more cost effective solution?
What will I be losing by using the Linux version
of 7.1.2? Is there a reason to stay on AIX?

Ultimately, we want to put NetView on Linux on
the mainframe... but that is a whole other kettle
of fish.

What do you folks think? Pipe dreams or reality?
(Or have I just fallen off the wagon again?)

--
Kevin Gow
CREDIT SUISSE FINANCIAL SERVICES