Re: [nv-l] availability data

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] availability data
From: "Christopher J Petrina" <cjp8@meadwestvaco.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 16:43:36 -0500
Delivery-date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 22:22:52 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

I was figuring that installing netview as stand alone was fine.   The only true benefit I see in installing framework then netview, is that if I use a RIM for RDBMS then all my data that is in the flat files will be put into a (inour case) Oracle database.  That way if I want to gather some odd information, such as all devices that are unmanaged, I can use a iSQL script to pull the data from the tables.   I know it can be done using nvdbformat as well, but to write a isql script is much simpler.  Plus we have other applications that can access the data as well.
    To me right now that is the only benefit I see to loading it via framework.   Netview for Windows had topo2sql whichw ould do a dump of the flat files into a .mdb format the UNIX side has no such creature.

-Chris Petrina