Re: [nv-l] ssh and Netview on AIX 5.1

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] ssh and Netview on AIX 5.1
From: Christian Frantsen <cfrantse@csc.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 19:08:02 +0000
Delivery-date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 19:27:52 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

We use SSH exclusivly for all UNIX systems here, no telnet daemons anywhere.

I have used SSH tunneling with Netview and had no problems with it. I use SSH tunneling for other things to and it works fine.
Never used it on an AIX system but it should be the same.

Just remember you have to do the following to be able to login as a user, su to root and then run an X application through the tunnel:

$ su -
# xauth merge /home/user/.Xauthority
# nv6000 -dconsole

Or you could just do a remote root login but if the sysadmin has done his job that won't happen :-)

Christian Frantsen
Network Engineering Services
CSC Sweden, Jonkoping

This is a PRIVATE message. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete without copying and kindly advise us by e-mail of the mistake in delivery. NOTE: Regardless of content, this e-mail shall not operate to bind CSC to any order or other contract unless pursuant to explicit written agreement or government initiative expressly permitting the use of e-mail for such purpose.

Leslie Clark <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

2004-03-03 19:38
Please respond to
nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
cc
Subject
[nv-l] ssh and Netview on AIX 5.1

Does anyone use this combination? Would you like to share you expertise on the required configuration? Do you have any special problems? They are getting ready to take away telnet at this particular site and try to use ssh and tunneling. Makes me nervous.... Thanks.

Detroit