[nv-l] Stress Testing NV, looking for opinions

To: <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: [nv-l] Stress Testing NV, looking for opinions
From: "Van Order, Drew \(US - Hermitage\)" <dvanorder@deloitte.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 10:20:59 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 16:35:05 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Morning all,

In trying to close out a long standing PMR for NV performance issues, we are stress testing NV from trap reception to TEC event (TEC_ITS integration) with a script that generates a specific trap and will send it as many times as you specify based on:

Number of traps per burst
Number of bursts
Number of seconds to pause between bursts

Right now, it is sending 5 interface down traps with a burst count of 50 and 1 second pause interval, so 250 traps in 50 seconds. We have been doing this every 10 minutes for approx. 24 hours. We ran the script locally for one day, and are now having a remote server send the traps. Success criteria is based upon:

No missed traps
No Java console performance degradation, i.e. Event Browser stops updating, demand polls hang
No lost TEC events

What do you think? Is this a valid testing methodology, or are we missing something? Thanks--Drew

Drew Van Order
Deloitte Services LP
Tel: +1 615 882 7836
www.deloitte.com

This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message. Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.