RE: [nv-l] Stress Testing NV, looking for opinions

To: <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Stress Testing NV, looking for opinions
From: "Barr, Scott" <Scott_Barr@csgsystems.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 12:13:13 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 18:27:48 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
You and I are on exactly the same page. I have a PMR opened for exactly the same situation.

In our situation, we have a automation testing routine (basically a cron that submits a trap that drives a ruleset that touches a file) if the file has not been touched in greater than 30 seconds from the time the trap was submitted, we declare automation is taking too long and stop nvcorrd and restart it. Upon occasion, we see an indication that nothing can talk to nvcold - this sounds a lot like what you are seeing - non-responsive nvcold behavior.

I know for a fact that our automation runs around 40-60 traps a minute. Rates beyond that may exist, but I haven't measured. In one recent situation, a mis-behaving trap agent (Oracle 9i intelligent agent) began spewing malformed traps. NetView automation hung in there even though trapd was being hit with 227 traps a second. The traps were malformed, and the enterprise ID was not present, so automation was not invoked. Normal traps flowed through the system during this incident, albeit a little slowly.

And IBM, if you are listening, MLM will do me no darn good for trap storm protection. The basic problem is that the need to predefine filter criteria essentially means that I must experience a trap storm from a device once, then put a filter in, and then if the same trap storm occurs again, the filter will choke it. Advocates of MLM will point out that I can configure it based on host address (or even *.*.*.*) but that in essence will shut NetView automation down (as MLM won't be sending traps beyond the threshold rate) so it serves as no valid protection (since it breaks the automation just as if I had sent the traps through).

I strongly believe that nvcold has a problem - even with the test fix I received for the memory leak someone else mentioned in the forum.

One other suggestion I had: While you are cranking up your trap rate - if you are using query smartset - take a snapshot of netstat -a and see if you see a ton of TIME_WAIT, CLOSE_WAIT and FIN2_WAIT sockets. It seems to me that this is somehow related. There seems to be a ton of nvcold sockets in use. I do not believe the trap rate itself is the problem, I think it is the number of simultaneous query smartset operations.

I'll be interested in any further results you are willing to share.