RE: [nv-l] Stress Testing NV, looking for opinions

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Stress Testing NV, looking for opinions
From: Francois Le Hir <flehir@ca.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 13:32:28 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 18:42:42 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

I believe netview is able to handle a lot more than 5 to 8 traps per
second. A couple of years ago when running Netview 6 (before RFI), I have
seen my netview box handle some peak of over 300 000 events per hour (ie
about 83 events per second). Of course, it all depends on the rulsets you
are running and such a volume of event is not normal (This was during a
major outage).

Salutations, / Regards,

Francois Le Hir
Network Projects & Consulting Services
IBM Global Services
Phone: (514) 964 2145

             "Van Order, Drew
             \(US -
             Hermitage\)"                                               To
             <dvanorder@deloit         <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
             te.com>                                                    cc
             Sent by:
             owner-nv-l@lists.                                     Subject
             us.ibm.com                RE: [nv-l] Stress Testing NV,
                                       looking for opinions

             06/03/2004 12:35
             PM

             Please respond to
                   nv-l

I got the base script from IBM support and have no problem sharing if
someone from IBM weighs in with no objections. We are running these traps
through TEC_ITS.rls, so nvcorrd, etc. should be getting exercised. I would
like to put a mix of traps in as well, but am not a developer so I'm making
do right now.

Funny you mention Query Smartset node; we are pretty sure this was the
major source of our trouble. Ours happened to be there for no good reason,
so we removed it and cycled the daemons. In addition, we did minor things
like configure trapd to save logs for a week, and implemented a weekly
ovmapcount/ovtopofix process. NV has been smooth ever since. Until then, NV
had been hanging at least once/week, and we were thinking NV was choking on
the number of traps, which we now believe to be bunk based on testing. MLM
was considered to be the solution until we learned our addressing scheme
was not compatible. That's when we opened a support call--been at this for
about a month now.

We're also ready to up the number of traps to see where NV falls over. When
this started, we got information from support that NV could handle
sustained 6-8 traps/second. I've got the email somewhere...  It appears
that number is conservative.