RE: [nv-l] Stress Testing NV, looking for opinions

To: <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Stress Testing NV, looking for opinions
From: "Van Order, Drew \(US - Hermitage\)" <dvanorder@deloitte.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 14:01:23 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 20:23:35 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Very true. We have a 6 CPU RS6000 w/4GB RAM, but it's also the TMR and
TEC. We manage 6000 NV objects, expect that to double. Support has
stated our hardware is more than sufficient for 12000.

Scott, looks like we have gone down similar paths in troubleshooting. We
too had a large number of _WAIT processes, and we also had queue backups
for UDP 162. This was during the first phase of troubleshooting, before
we traced nvcorrd and IBM pointed out the Smartset Query that (in
support's estimation) probably wasn't causing trouble because it
essentially queried NULL, but nevertheless was a wasted step. The
FIN_WAIT processes were Java console sessions deemed not hurting
anything either. First step was to see if sluggish DNS was the problem,
then we moved to capturing data. Support felt the issue may be in trapd,
so we prepped for hex tracing of that, only to not have a slowdown
since.

And I recently bumped the number of traps to 1,000. Still working. I am
next going to drop the number of traps to 250, but set cron for every 3
minutes. No word from IBM about the script, so here it is; works great.
This generates an IBM Authentication Trap, you can make it do anything
you want by putting in the right hex information. It looks like you
could have multiple traps ($trap1, $trap2) defined, but I am not sure
how to edit the send line accordingly. I'm guessing a Perl person would
know the answer in about 5 seconds.