Re: [nv-l] MLM functionality in 7.1.4

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] MLM functionality in 7.1.4
From: "Christopher J Petrina" <cjp8@meadwestvaco.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 10:22:51 -0400
Delivery-date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 15:47:54 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

If the Unix MLM communicates differently withtl he cetnral host then that would be true.  However if the Unix MLM communicates usng MIB oid's and uses the MLM MIBs to communicate back to the central host, then it will pose the same problem.  By design a MIB oid cannot have a zero embedded in the oid, since a (0) acts as a terminating identifier in a OID.  If the unix side still uses the IP address to create a unique identifier back; to the central netview box, it will be the same as the NT side.

   What I am looking for is a distribuited architecture in which I can have remote management stations out at my major mills who have some ability at autonomy, allowing them customization of maps and threshold settings, while still being able to send back critical events and traps tot he central netview server back in our data center.  If I am misunderstanding the ability of MLM's then I apologize, but the architecture I seek is still the same.  The requirement of having them use the web console to access the central hosts maps is not customizable enough, And at the current traffic of our network having a single netview server cannot handle all of our events and traps.

Thank you
Chris Petrina

Paul <pstroud@bellsouth.net>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

08/18/2004 10:03 AM
Please respond to
nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
cc
Subject
Re: [nv-l] MLM functionality in 7.1.4

Chris,
MLM's do not have maps. They monitor what is on the local subnet
unless otherwise configured to do more. Also remember that MLM
can only poll via ping and not snmp. You can threshold the traps
from the MLM and these can be controlled by MLM and you can
use APM to distribute the profiles to the MLMs. As for the 0 problem
that is related to any device that the MLM will be discovering, however
this is only related to MLM on NT. I don't believe the same problem
affects the UNIX side.

Paul