Re: [nv-l] Netview Polling

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Netview Polling
From: Francois Le Hir <flehir@ca.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 08:56:27 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 13:57:07 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

The solution to avoid that is to add some name resolution for the loopback
addresses so that Netview will be able to associate it to the correct node.

Salutations, / Regards,

Francois Le Hir
Network Projects & Consulting Services
IBM Global Services
Phone: (514) 964 2145

             awatthey@mmm.com
             Sent by:
             owner-nv-l@lists.                                          To
             us.ibm.com                nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
                                                                        cc

             01/13/2005 08:42                                      Subject
             AM                        Re: [nv-l] Netview Polling

             Please respond to
                   nv-l

Demis,

Thanks.  I remember reading this but somehow did not link it to what I was
working on.  So what we are saying is that there is no way of doing this
built into the product.

I was originally thinking that perhaps the only way is to intercept the
Node Added trap and invoke a script which unmanages all the interfaces that
are not in the netmon.seed and now this seems to be confirmed.

Another really annoying thing with Netview and these outsourced networks is
that the TRAPs come into Netview using (usually) the loopback address of
the device which is one of these strange IP addresses.  If one uses the
event log message and clicks 'Show Node on Map' then Netview cannot find it
even though it is a known interface on a known node.

Regards,
Alan.

             Demis Gonçalves
             <demisgc@ig.com.b
             r>                                                         To
             Sent by:                  <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
             owner-nv-l@lists.                                          cc
             us.ibm.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [nv-l] Netview Polling
             13/01/2005 12:02

             Please respond to
             nv-l@lists.us.ibm
                   .com

Hi Alan, i posted this question here last week and i will paste here the
historical of the discussion.

Demis,
That sounds like you need to spend some time training the operators.
You can setup NetView so that everything is discovered unmanaged
and then you can manage what you like. That might help....

Paul