Re: [nv-l] Netview Polling

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Netview Polling
From: awatthey@mmm.com
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 18:20:04 +0000
Delivery-date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 18:23:49 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Leslie,

Thanks for this information.  However, am I doing the right thing here in
the right place?

You say add an S option but the Object ID of the router I've just located
is 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.340.  According to the /usr/ov/conf/oid_to_type file,
that line has the options GS already.

Another router I've located has an Object ID of 1.3.6.1.4.1.3.1.1.98.  The
oid_to_type file says this is 'IBM Unkown' yet the router is a Cisco 3700.
However, I would be able to add S to that line.

Also, the S character is not documented and the P character is documented
as causing the node to be polled using SNMP.

As far as populating the etc\hosts file.  I can certainly do that but my
problem is going to be finding out what routable IP address goes with which
trap IP address.  Is there no easy way of finding it in the database as it
must be there on an interface of something somewhere?  If I can find which
box it is on easily then I may save myself the trouble of populating the
etc\hosts file with static information that could easily become out of
date.

Regards,
Alan.

             Leslie Clark
             <lclark@us.ibm.co
             Sent by:                  nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
             owner-nv-l@lists.                                          cc
             us.ibm.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [nv-l] Netview Polling
             13/01/2005 15:20

             Please respond to
             nv-l@lists.us.ibm
                   .com

You cannot stop netmon from discovering all addresses on a router, that's
its job. However, in the case where you don't have routing to those
addresses, you should just tell netmon to poll them via snmp. It will then
do an snmpget of the ifOperStatus of all of the interfaces, through the one
address you do have SNMP access to, and they will be nice and green.  You
can do this either by putting one address for each one in the seedfile with
$ in front of it, or, in the /usr/OV/conf/oid_to_type file, you can put add
the S flag to the OID for those types of routers. Stop/start netmon, and
you are all set.

Regarding Francois' advice to add name resolution for the trap sources, I
would add that when you do this, you want to make sure that the forward
resolution resolves to the address you reach it by. If you were using just
the hosts file, it would be like this:

10.10.10.5  MyRouter1  # the address that I can talk to
10.10.10.1  My Router1  # The loopback address of the router, where traps
come from

So when Netview discovers it by 10.10.10.5, it will name it MyRouter1. When
a trap comes in from 10.10.10.1, it will look that address up and assign it
to MyRouter1 in the events display. When you use menu functions on Netview
against the node MyRouter1, it will lookup the address and use 10.10.10.5.

If the .5 address is already in your DNS, and you decide to add the .1
address to the etc\hosts file on the Windows box, you must also add the .5
address to the etc\hosts file because the hosts file will take
precidence.

(248) 552-4968 Voicemail, Fax, Pager

    awatthey@mmm.com
    Sent by:
    owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.co                                          To
    m                                                           nv-l@lists
                                                                .us.ibm.co
    01/13/2005 04:35 AM                                         m
                                                                        cc
          Please respond to
                nv-l                                               Subject
                                                                [nv-l]
                                                                Netview
                                                                Polling

Hi,

I'm on Windows 2000 with Netview 7.1.4 FP2.

I've been doing some traces of what Netview is doing and I've seen quite a
lot of activity.  I was wondering how I could stop it.  I have 'discover
all networks' with @limit_discovery in my netmon.seed along with a list of
the ranges it should work with.

Basically we have various parts of the network outsourced.  I have
negotiated SNMP read access to all these routers.  Netview discovers these
routers quite happily but also discovers that they have lots of other
interfaces with strange IP addresses.  There is no routing in our network
to these addresses.  Even though I have limited the range of IP addresses
that Netview should discover via the NETMON.SEED file, it still insists on
PINGing and doing NBNS name lookups on these addresses.  Of course these
packets flow out of our default route and try to get to the Internet.  This
not only wastes bandwidth but gets our IDS people after me as they think a
box has a virus trying to get to all sorts of strange addresses which have
nothing to do with our organisation.

Is there an automatic method (forget manually unmanaging things) of
stopping netview from refering to anything not specified in the seed file.

Regards,
Alan.