Re: [nv-l] NetView rule to send e-mails on Windows

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] NetView rule to send e-mails on Windows
From: CMazon@commercebankfl.com
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 10:42:39 -0400
Delivery-date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 15:44:41 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

When I had this working in Windows, I called a batch file instead of running the nvmail command directly. Then in the batch file I set the command parameters as needed. This allowed me to see the entire command to make sure I was not missing any arguments. Depending on the message you send it could get lengthy.

Carlos

Paul <pstroud@bellsouth.net>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

04/20/2005 10:39 AM
Please respond to
nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
cc
Subject
Re: [nv-l] NetView rule to send e-mails on Windows

     DCF Document ID: 1042880 - IBM Tivoli NetView: The *nvmail*
     program supplied with NetView is not sending email when used in
     conjunction with a specified event/trap.

*Problem Desc:*                  The *nvmail* program supplied with NetView is not
sending email when used in conjunction with a specified event/trap. The
command syntax used is the following: "*nvmail* -server my_smtp_server
-recipient my_email_address -subject "$3 on server $2" -message "body
text of email"" where $3 is event description and $2 nodename.

*Solution:*                  Check that the *nvmail* command works from the command line
and verify that mail is received.. If mail is not received the problem
is that a true SMPT mail server has not been specified.

If it does work from the command line but the problem is that you get no
mail when it is run from a trap, then it may be that trapd cannot find
*nvmail*.
The daemons do not share the path, so always include a complete one.

A UNIX-style path may be used (which is what trapd is expecting because
it is ported from UNIX) as per the following:

"C:/usr/ov/bin/*nvmail*.exe <rest_of_nvmail_command>"

Or an NT-style path can be used but that must be "escaped" because the
underlying code does not recognize it per the following:

"C:\\usr\\ov\bin\\*nvmail*.exe <rest_of_nvmail_command>"

NOTE: The double \\ backslashes here are necessary because the single
one is interpreted as an escape character.

SOLUTION # 117551

Paul