Re: [nv-l] PC becomes Router !!

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] PC becomes Router !!
From: Gildas.Plouzennec@alcatel.fr
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 10:34:49 +0200
Delivery-date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 09:35:32 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
The ipForwarding value is "not forawarding" and the Windows Key "IPEnableRouter" is 0.

I have another PC with similar configuration but without this issue.
The main difference between both PC is the one with the problem is hosted on a blade (in IBM blade center) and the other one is a server hosted in a "standard" box.

Gildas PLOUZENNEC

George deSocio wrote:

I believe if you use regedit and navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

look for the value for IPEnableRouter; 1 means IP Forwarding is enabled; if you issue the following, you can also see it:

snmpget <hostname> ip.ipForwarding.0

I have set this on before on machines with more than one nic card, but have not seen it get set by itself.

Regards,
Geo.

George deSocio
IBM Americas Support - Distributed Network Management
Dept 46-E1ZA
IBM B660  CC109
HWY 54 & 600 Park Offices
Research Triangle Park, NC  27709

919-254-2259 (T/L 444)  Fax: 919-543-7936 (T/L 441)

E-Mail:  desocio@us.ibm.com

*Leslie Clark/Southfield/IBM@IBMUS*
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

06/27/2005 11:25 AM
Please respond to

        nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
cc

Subject
        Re: [nv-l] PC becomes Router !!

Yes, it is normal. It usually means the ipforwarding is enabled between the interfaces on the server. If you do not want to see it at that level of the map, your best bet is to hide it from that submap. It will still show up in the segments on which it has interfaces.

(248) 552-4968 Voicemail, Fax, Pager

*Gildas.Plouzennec@alcatel.fr*
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

06/27/2005 11:19 AM
Please respond to

        nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
cc

Subject
        [nv-l] PC becomes Router !!

Hi all,

my Netview is 7.1.3.

On my network, a PC (W2K SP4) had one network interface in
192.168.80.x/24 and all was fine (trap well received, etc ..)
Then I added on this PC a second network interface in 169.254.x.x/16.
After a manual polling request, the second interface was discovered, and
the object was added at the network level (in root submap), linked to
the 2 IP network  (192.168.80.x/24 and 169.254.x.x/16) and in its
properties : IPRouter, Node, Computer, Connector, Router, PC, IP.
Before the add of the interface, the properties was :  Node, Computer,
Connector, PC, IP.
Note the icone used to display the PC is still the PC icone.

Is it a normal behavior, I mean when a host have 2 interfaces on 2 IP
networks, it is considered as a router ?

thanks for your help.

--

Gildas