RE: [nv-l] Routing table pulled

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Routing table pulled
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 15:06:45 -0400
Delivery-date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 20:07:14 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
That's why I asked if you had a problem.   Most people don't configure this
value unless and until they do have one.   But if you are simply worried
you can do it ahead of time.   And as I said, the Help says the default
value is 800, so we wouldn't query 6000 even in the default  or
un-configured case.

But netmon doesn't query the routing table without a purpose, especially
during discovery.  That's an important part of how automated discovery
proceeds.  So I'd say that zero is a little drastic, wouldn't you?
With zero you may halt automated discovery.  Or you may get unconnected
nodes or networks on the map.

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

             "Kain, Becki
             \(B.\)"
             <bkain1@ford.com>                                          To
             Sent by:                  <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
             owner-nv-l@lists.                                          cc
             us.ibm.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: [nv-l] Routing table pulled
             10/14/2005 02:55
             PM

             Please respond to
                   nv-l

Do I need it configured at all?  Apparently, this person's concern was
under HPOV, that when it discovered a router, it made 6000 individual
snmp get statements for each routing statement.

What is the impact of setting this to 0?