Re: [nv-l] Routing table pulled

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Routing table pulled
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 07:50:51 -0400
Delivery-date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 12:50:17 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

There are a number of posts on this topin in the archives, with good explanations of the issue, and Cisco's recommendations. Sice this became an issue (mostly with low-end routers) Netview as implemented the option to limit route table pulls, and it has also implemented the use of CDP cache lookups for configuration and discovery polling, so it relies less on the route table if CDP is enabled. However, it will hit the route table if you explicitly pull it (eg Monitor...Network Configuration..Route Table). So the best thing to do, if there is a real problem with CPU, or if there is a perception that there is such a problem, is to
1) set the number of route table entries pulled to some small number like 5 or 10
2) put your core routers in the seedfile to ensure complete discovery.
If you are using an explicit seedfile and limiting discovery to that list, you can set it to 1 and not worry about it.

IBM Global Services On Demand - Network Mgmt
(248) 552-4968 Voicemail, Fax, Pager

Paul Stroud <nvladmin@gmail.com>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

10/14/2005 03:09 PM
Please respond to

nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
cc
Subject
Re: [nv-l] Routing table pulled

Do NOT set it to 0 as that will cause it to pull all the routes use
1 instead.

Paul