Re: [nv-l] Where is the MIB for Netview internal traps ???

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Where is the MIB for Netview internal traps ???
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 12:59:56 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 18:00:39 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
I don't know where you got the idea that you could edit a MIB and force a
change in functionality.  That is simply not generally true of any agent,
not just NetView.  Agents do what agents do.  MIBs are published to
describe what agents do.  But changing a MIB does not change the agent's
behavior.  Some  agents offer SET capability for some of their functions,
that's true.  But many do not.  And most users disable the SET capability
any way, because they don't want just anyone changing things.  They'd
rather require you to log in with the right password, so they have more
control and a record of who changed things.

And yes, NetView traps are hard-coded into it's daemons.  Most of them come
from netmon, but several other daemons may issue traps as well, such as
servmon, snmpCollect, and others.

So no, there is no simple configuration change you can do to alter the
information that is sent with a trap.  What you see is what you get.  It is
however possible to take action on a trap, and then issue another trap of
your own devising which is similar to the original but contains whatever
else you want added to it. Then you could pay attention to your trap and
ignore the earlier one.  But that's about it.

It is also the case that some traps have more information in them already
than what is shown in trapd.log or the Event Browser.  In that case you
only need to configure the trap in trapd.conf to display what it currently
does not.  If you select  trap in the Event Browser and right click, one of
the options is "Event Details" which will pop-up a scrollable window of
what the trap contains.  You can then change the formatting in Trap
Settings.

So the question comes down to a more specific one.  What traps did you want
to modify and what information did you want to add?

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

             Michael D Schleif
             <mds@helices.org>
             owner-nv-l@lists.         nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
             us.ibm.com                                                 cc

                                                                   Subject
             01/12/2006 12:39          Re: [nv-l] Where is the MIB for
             PM                        Netview internal traps ???

             Please respond to
             nv-l@lists.us.ibm
                   .com

James, et al. =>

* James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com> [2006:01:12:12:13:50-0500] scribed:
> There is no MIB for NetView internal traps.

Does this mean that this internal trap functionality is HARD-coded into
one of the NV binaries?

Is there anyway to *modify* this internal trap functionality?

Of course, if there is a standard MIB, then I have the opportunity to
edit it, and modify functionality.

For the record, I want to _add_ information to some of these traps.  I
know that the information is available at time of trap generation; but,
it is NOT available in the traps ...

What do you think?

Thank you, for your attention to this matter.

> James Shanks
> Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
> Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group
>

>              Michael D Schleif

>              <mds@helices.org>

>              Sent by:

>              us.ibm.com                <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>

cc

>              01/12/2006 11:53
Subject
>              AM                        [nv-l] Where is the MIB for
Netview

--
Best Regards,

mds