Re: [nv-l] Where is the MIB for Netview internal traps ???

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Where is the MIB for Netview internal traps ???
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 13:17:24 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 18:26:26 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
If you'd like to contact IBM Support by opening a problem, or contact your
IBM marketing representative, and have that person open an enhancement
request for you that, in a future release of NetView,  IBM provide a MIB of
NetView's internal traps, please feel free.  But there is no such animal
today, not even an unpublished one, so there is nothing to give you that
you do not already have.

I didn't personally write, nor review, the doc on traps issued by netmon.
It's not my area of expertise.  But I can assure you that there is no
distinction between "netName" and "netname" as used in those trap
descriptions you mentioned.  Since most people do not name their networks
at all (you'd  have to create a names file called /etc/networks in the same
location where /etc/hosts is located), it is a moot distinction anyway, as
the network name will be a partial IP address.

As for the rest of the information in the internal trap Appendix, it's as
accurate as we can make.  It does get looked at and updated every full
release, but there is always the chance that something will be inaccurate.
If you notice something, then please let IBM Support know and it will be
corrected the next time.

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

             Michael D Schleif
             <mds@helices.org>
             owner-nv-l@lists.         nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
             us.ibm.com                                                 cc

                                                                   Subject
             01/12/2006 12:50          Re: [nv-l] Where is the MIB for
             PM                        Netview internal traps ???

             Please respond to
             nv-l@lists.us.ibm
                   .com

James, et al. =>

* James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com> [2006:01:12:12:21:52-0500] scribed:
> Hit "send" too quickly.  NetView Internal traps are documented, however,
in
> Appendix D of the NetView for Windows User's Guide, and in Appendix A of
> the NetView for UNIX Administrator's Guide.  The latest documentation can
> be obtained from the web,

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v3r1/index.jsp?toc=/com.ibm.itnetview.doc/toc.xml

Also, in addition to my questions in other response, and directly in
response to this suggestion, has ALL of the information been verified in
the Administrator's Guide, Appendix A?

For example, enterprise specific 50790403 & 50790404 use 'netName'; but,
50790416 & 50790417 use 'netname' -- please, NOTICE the exact case used
in each.  When the case varies in this document, is that 100% accurate?

Of course, if I had the MIB, then I would know _exactly_ what NV is
using ;<

What do you think?

> James Shanks
> Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
> Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group
<snip />

--
Best Regards,