RE: [nv-l] error w/ mib2trap

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: RE: [nv-l] error w/ mib2trap
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 09:15:14 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 14:15:40 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Glen,

mib2trap works on files, not on the MIB database.  So all the MIB
definitions needed to resolve the traps must be in one file.  If they are
spread over multiple files, then you have to gather them all into one big
one.

But before you do that, or any more of this, let me give you a tip.
If you plan running a whole bunch of vendor traps through mib2trap, then my
advice is to build a little mini MIB database for just them.

You would use xnmloadmib2 for that, since it has the same parser as
mib2trap.  Two ways to do this.

(1) rename /usr/OV/conf/ snmpv2mib and snmpv2mib.bin to something else for
safe keeping.
(2) start loading all the MIBs you want to run mib2trap on and keep adding
MIBs until you don't get any more warnings or errors.  Use the IMPORTS
sections to tell you what other MIBs you need for resolution when you get
error.  Usually these are vendor MIBs and not RFC's.
(3) When you finish step (2), run mib2trap on /usr/OV/conf/snmpv2mib.  It's
a big text file of all the MIBs you loaded to get one consistent whole.
(4) When mib2trap is finished, you can rename the new /usr/OV/conf/
snmpv2mib and snmpv2mib.bin files to something else (for safe keeping case
you want to do this again) and restore the old ones.

It's also possible to  skip the rename game altogether and run xnmloadmib2
from the command line with the -mibDB option to specify a new MIB database
file of your choosing and run mib2trap on that instead.  For each vendor
you want to add a lot of traps for, you van build a little mini database of
just his stuff for mib2trap to work with.

HTH

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

             James
             Shanks/Raleigh/IB
             M@IBMUS                                                    To
             Sent by:                  nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
             owner-nv-l@lists.                                          cc
             us.ibm.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: [nv-l] error w/ mib2trap
             04/06/2006 08:38
             AM

             Please respond to
             nv-l@lists.us.ibm
                   .com

-T is valid though it may not be documented at you level of code.  It tells
addtrap not to send the FMTCHG event to trapd. This flag is added by
mib2trap to prevent trapd from getting into a loop re-reading the
trapd.conf file when many new traps are being added at once.

You problem is the -i, not -T.

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

             "Glen Warn"
             <Glen.Warn@pemcoc
             orp.com>                                                   To
             Sent by:                  <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
             owner-nv-l@lists.                                          cc
             us.ibm.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: [nv-l] error w/ mib2trap
             04/05/2006 08:32
             PM

             Please respond to
             nv-l@lists.us.ibm
                   .com

I think I fixed this.  After going thru each parameter I found there is no
T option for addtrap.  I also saw that the –i parameter wasn’t being
issued.  I did a search and replace on the –T with a –i
1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.171.2 and reran the script.  It seems to have worked fine.
Does anyone have any input on the –T (specifically why would mib2trap put
it there?)  Not sure which of the 2 actually was the fix, but it did run
w/o error now.