Re: Fw: [nv-l] trapd -s (size parameter)

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: Fw: [nv-l] trapd -s (size parameter)
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 10:13:56 -0400
Delivery-date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 15:13:49 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Jeff,
I'm not ignoring you;  I was out of the office.  No, I have no idea whether
there is a maximum value enforced anywhere.  And I've told you about all
options I'm aware of.   I'm sorry if that doesn't meet your needs.

But I what I remember is that trapd gets the file size just once, when it
initializes, and that after that it keeps track of how many bytes it add to
the file on each write; so if you take him down and clear out the file
before it rolls over, then it should never reach the maximum, no matter
what it is.

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

             jeff.ctr.vandenbu
             ssche@faa.gov
             owner-nv-l@lists.         nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
             us.ibm.com                                                 cc

                                                                   Subject
             04/24/2006 10:00          Fw: [nv-l] trapd -s (size
             AM                        parameter)

             Please respond to
             nv-l@lists.us.ibm
                   .com

James,

I tried changing the log file, but it still followed the size rules for
trapd.  Is there a way to not have a size limit for the log file.  I tried
changing it to 0, but Netview wouldn't allow me to do that.  My only other
option is to make the size a very large number.  Do you happen to know what
the max value for the size is (or if there is one).  I found out the
minimum size is 10K.

Thanks,
Jeff

             James Shanks
             <jshanks@us.ibm.c
                                       nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
             owner-nv-l@lists.
             us.ibm.com                                            Subject
                                       Re: [nv-l] trapd -s (size
                                       parameter)
             04/20/2006 03:47
             PM

             Please respond to
             nv-l@lists.us.ibm
                   .com

Why not use the -l parameter to specify your other log file directly and
forget the pipe?
I believe that when you do that all the log management is left up to you,
though I haven't been in the code for some time, so I am not completely
certain about that.

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

             jeff.ctr.vandenbu
             ssche@faa.gov
             owner-nv-l@lists.         nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
             us.ibm.com                                                 cc

                                                                   Subject
             04/20/2006 02:58          [nv-l] trapd -s (size parameter)
             PM

             Please respond to
             nv-l@lists.us.ibm
                   .com

Doesn't anyone know of a way to NOT set a limit to the size of trapd.log.
I currently have a trapd.log set up as a pipe to another log file.  Since
this pipe daemon already has a built in rollover capability, I do not need
this capability for trapd.  I am running into problems when trapd attempts
to rollover.  I know I can probably set trapd.log to a very large value (
is there a max size for trapd.log), but is there a parameter that tells
trapd to limit the size of trapd.log and then not rollover.

Thanks,
Jeff