RE: [nv-l] Polling Question

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Polling Question
From: "Evans, Bill" <Bill.Evans@hq.doe.gov>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 15:24:23 -0400
Delivery-date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 20:25:40 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Hey, Paul; Welcome Newcomer. We need to know what you're running since
there are various flavors of NetView and they vary in performance
depending on the underlying hardware and operating system.

I've usually found the default is well configured if you have sized and
configured the system according to the suggestions in the NetView books.
For Windows it's a twenty minute polling cycle and for Unix/Linux it's a
five minute default polling cycle. Performance can be affected by a
number of other configuration variables as well as the total load in
terms of objects.

In particular the number of devices shown by the "ovobjprint -S" and the
number shown for the "-n" value on the ovwdb line in the
/usr/OV/conf/ovsuf line are critical (Unix/Linux file notation).  The -n
value MUST be a good percentage bigger.  If NETMON (the poller) is so
heavily loaded you can't sneak in a demand poll there's something out of
kilter in the configuration and the ovwdb -n value is the usual first
suspect.

Bill Evans