RE: [nv-l] Polling Question

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Polling Question
From: Stephen Hochstetler <shochste@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 15:29:39 -0500
Delivery-date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 21:30:25 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

with 900 nodes in a local hosts file it is likely you are experiencing high CPU? You have a dual CPU box, do you have tools that will show how the CPU usage is on each? If you are total at 50%, could that mean that netmon is pegged one of the CPUs? In the past I did this on a NetView server on a 4-way. When I switched from a large hosts file to a caching DNS configuration my netmon CPU usage went from 100% (of a single CPU) down to 6%.

I suggest you build a DNS on your Windows machine or one on the same subnet and get rid of your hosts file. Having DNS co-exist on your NetView server is the best.

Stephen Hochstetler shochste@us.ibm.com
International Technical Support Organization at IBM
Office - 512-838-6198 (t/l 678) FAX - 512-838-6931
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com