RE: [nv-l] Polling Question

To: <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Polling Question
From: "Skokan, Paul" <Paul.Skokan@netapp.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 17:42:23 -0700
Delivery-date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 01:43:43 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
We have several high end L3 switches with multiple interfaces, but you
bring up a good point thought.  I have a discovery filter which should
populate only  Cisco devices...Here is a snip of my seed file...

@oid 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.*
@oid 1.3.6.1.4.1.3076.*

I am finding that many other objects are being added to the object
database.  If I perform a "ovtopofix -a", then a ton of devices (mostly
hosts) are deleted.  Any ideas?

Current
H:\>ovobjprint -S
Number of objects defined in the database: 28866

Total number of fields defined in the database is: 272.

Total number of field values in the database: 230196
         Number of Integer fields: 68039.
         Number of Boolean fields: 70858.
         Number of String fields: 76677.
         Number of Enum fields: 14622.

After "ovtopofix -a"
H:\>ovobjprint -S
Number of objects defined in the database: 18546

Total number of fields defined in the database is: 272.

Total number of field values in the database: 209554
         Number of Integer fields: 68037.
         Number of Boolean fields: 70858.
         Number of String fields: 56037.
         Number of Enum fields: 14622.

I have SNMP polling as default for a handful of OIDs by design because
there are some public interfaces which I am unable to ping directly.

We have a global network so 50% of the devices have latency over 100 ms
and 25% of the devices are over 180 ms.

Paul