Urgent Netview Migration Problem

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Urgent Netview Migration Problem
From: Simon Long <slong@NETTRACK.COM.AU>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 00:09:24 +1100
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hi,

I am having a bad time trying to migrate a Netview 4.1 system to 5.1  -
Here is
my situation:

   I am currently trying to migrate a Netview V4.1 system  to
   Netview V5.1.1.  The platform is a RS6000 E30 ( previously running
   AIX 4.1.5 - now migrating to AIX 4.3.2 ).   So the transition looks like
   this:-

   Netview 4.1 on AIX 4.1.5

   Netview 5.1.1 on AIX 4.3.2

   The steps I took roughly:-

   1. mksysb's
   2. chktrapd.con to verify the trapd.conf format
   3. shutdown daemons
   4. create migration backups ( created both ALL and ALL-USER - but used
        ALL-USER within the context of this discussion ).
   5. Deleted Netview, Systems Monitor, Dynatext, etc.
   6. Ran Migration upgrade of AIX from 4.1.5 to 4.3.2 -> Seems OK
   7. Installed Framework 3.6
   8. Upgraded Framework to 3.6.1
   9. Applied Framework Patch for Netview 5.1
   10. Created ( installed ) Netview Server

   Seems to progress OK but finally fails with the following messages:-

     Migrating for fileset IBMVA-RUN...
     Migrating filters...
     Migrating openmon...
     Migrating cron files...
     Updating app-defaults files...
     NOTE: Possible user app-default files detected in the following
     directories:
             /u/caguil
           Consider using /usr/OV/install/tools/migAppDef to migrate them.
     Migrating application help files...
     Migrating Event Stream Enhancement (ESE)...
     Migrating security...
     /usr/OV/install/tools/security.config[72]: 0403-057 Syntax error at
     line 790 : `fi' is not expected.
     Migrating reports...
     Migrating MIBs...
     cp: /usr/OV/seedfile/seed.ALL: A file or directory in the path name
     does not exist.
     SEV_2 ERR_bcfg_125
     base:    Saving log files to /tmp/NVfail.tar
     NetView Installation encountered errors and has not successfully
     completed.
     running nv6000.base.obj.unconfig
     ==== base unconfig Tue Jul  6 20:21:54 EET 1999 ====
     Stopping daemons...
     Removing error log messages...
     Deleting added lines in rc.tcpip
     Removing installp features ODM entries...
     0518-307 odmdelete: 1 objects deleted.
     0518-307 odmdelete: 0 objects deleted.
     0518-307 odmdelete: 1 objects deleted.
     0518-307 odmdelete: 1 objects deleted.
     0518-307 odmdelete: 0 objects deleted.
     0518-307 odmdelete: 0 objects deleted.
     Removing ODM entries...
     Base operation complete...

   Note: This was taken from the end of the /tmp/NVS_51_NVFCONF_after.error
   file.

I think I know what is happening with the "seed.ALL" message - The previous
Netview Implementation
used a "seed.ALL" file in a "/usr/OV/seedfile" directory - which wasn't
recreated by the migration
install.   Do I need to create this directory in advance and put the
"seed.ALL" file in it?

What about the other messages?

I urgently need to resolve this issue.    Please let me know if you need
any more information.    I took the
following from the system in case they are of any use ( I didn't want to
just attach them in case this
was a bad political move ):-

     NVS_51_ALIDB_after.debug
     NVS_51_BIN_before.debug