Re: netview error...

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: netview error...
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 22:38:02 -0400
Well, you have got a mess.  trapd.conf is not backed up by NetView automatically
because most users customize it dramatically.  So if you don't have a backup of
your own, we'll have to try to rebuild it.

Before you try any of this, go to /usr/OV/conf/C and make a copy of trapd.conf
so at least you can get back to this point .

First, it sounds as though you may be able to restore as much of the file as
possible by simply editing it and making that last line say simply:   SDESC
in capital letters.  Then add one more line after that which says just :
EDESC

Then try restarting the daemons with ovstart  or  /etc/netnmrc

Second, if that doesn't work, you can try deleting all the lines at the end of
the file up to the previous EDESC and see if that works.

Both of these methods have your file contain a few less traps than before, but
it keeps as much of your changes as possible, and perhaps you can discover what
you are missing and add it back later.  See below.

If neither of those first two procedures work, then you are going to have to use
the stripped-down version of trapd.conf shipped with the product originally.
Copy  trapd.conf from /usr/OV/newconfig/OVSNMP-RUN into /usr/OV/conf/C and try
to start the daemons.  That should work, but now you have lost all your
customization.

If you have taken this third alternative, then there really is no easy way to
put your customization back except by using diff against the old, broken
trapd.conf  and the new copy you just put in, and manually migrating any
differences you find.  It will be a slow, painstaking process.  This is the same
thing you would do to restore what is missing after alternatives one or two as
well, except that there should be fewer discrepancies to sort out.

Good luck.

Use this as an object lesson.  In the future (a) check /usr frequently ( df
/usr ) and keep it at least 20% free at all times and (b) take system backups
once a month so you can recover from disasters more easily.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Daniel_Casey@MAIL.JBHUNT.COM on 09/20/99 06:20:38 PM

      <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>