Re: netview error...

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: netview error...
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 17:03:39 -0400
Well, what Support is talking about is using the SMIT/Framework menu item to
clear your databases.  You lose your maps and your databases and this makes
netmon re-discover everything again from scratch.   No big deal in a small
network but it can take awhile in a large one, and any map customization you
have done is gone.    That's usually the thing that gets most people upset.  It
can take days to re-do that.

What netmon is going to do is go out and read the arp cache of the devices on
his subnet and discover the nodes closest to him, and continue on up to the
first set of routers.  Then he'll stop and you have to manually manage these new
networks from the GUI.   Or you have to build a seed file which tells netmon
what to discover -- usually the major interfaces on your major routers.

Daniel, I don't want to be rude, but are you the original NetView administrator
here?  Who did the original install and customization?   Are you aware of what
map customization as been done and  how the network was originally discovered?
Do you have a seed file?   Are there other users besides you?

These are the sorts of issues that I expected the Support people with whom you
talked  to discuss with you.   If you aren't the original NetView guy and there
is no one you can turn to for help, then I would suggest you call Support back
and level set them on what your situation really is.    They may not be able to
restore your broken database, but they should be able to help you understand
what exactly you have to do and how to do it.

How many objects are in your database anyway?  Do ovobjprint -S  and get the
summary statistics to show you.
How long will ovwdb remain up before it cores?   Did anyone in Support offer to
look at the core file or ask you to run readcore on it to produce a core.report
file?

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Daniel_Casey@MAIL.JBHUNT.COM on 09/21/99 04:19:02 PM