Re: reg Netview for Unix

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: reg Netview for Unix
From: Vladimir Petr <petr@DATASYS.CZ>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 18:35:51 +0100
Hello, Robert;
If you install an NV client on your NV server box, the server install will be
overwritten, thus it cannot be used. Unfortunately, it was possible to perform
such
an install ending up in deleting the server (not sure how it's in 5.1.2), i.e.
there
was no mechanism to stop installation attempts. Don't do that or you'll have
nothing.
And why would you do that? On server, you have (almost) everything a client has
so
that you can run user programs. Or have you got a particular reason to have a
client
on the server?

You can mix AIX clients with a Solaris server and vice versa. But you cannot
use an
NT client connecting to either AIX or Solaris server. On NT folks usually use X
emulation programs while running a telnet session to the AIX/Solaris server.
You can
search the NV archive at http://www.vk.net/lists to know about what programs are
mostly used.

As for patches, apply server patches on the server and client patches on your
clients if you have any of them. It does not matter whether the server is at
5.1.1
or at 5.1 when you are about to install a client.

HTH,
Best regards,
Vladimir.

--