Re: Ruleset Approach for Quad NIC

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Ruleset Approach for Quad NIC
From: Ray Schafer <schafer@tkg.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 14:59:54 +0000
"James H. Mapp" wrote:

> James Shanks--
>
>    I should be more explicit. NIC is a network interface card, and it is in
> a SUN server, and the NIC card has 4 interfaces, each interface connects to
> a separate LAN segment, mostly just for high availabality. If one segment
> goes
> down, the server can still be reached via three different addresses, across
> three
> different segments/nic interfaces. I only want to generate a node down to
> TEK
> from Netview if I detect that all four ip addresses are down.

How many interfaces are visible under the server icon in the map?  If there are
only 4 managed, then this will happen automatically for you.  If there are
more, and you don't care about their status, you can unmanage them to get you
to where there are 4 interfaces unmanaged.

If you can't do that, it would be possible to do what you want in a ruleset
action.  You can examine the contents of the "TopM Interface List" field.
Those interfaces should be in the list as well as their current status.   It
would be a little tricky, since the list filed occupies several lines (grepping
it out won't work - you'd have to use a script).