RE: Ruleset Question

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: Ruleset Question
From: "Bursik, Scott" <Scott.Bursik@fritolay.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 09:46:08 -0600
        What I ended up doing was creating a branch in my ruleset that looks
for a node up trap and compares it to a smartset for the node I am
monitoring. If it is there it starts the following script that produces a
NodeUp condition. The one problem was that if the node was down for lets say
1 minute instead of the 5 minutes it takes to fire the NodeDown in the rule,
the NodeUp event would appear without a NodeDown event. Since we are handing
the event to a TEK adapter via the syslog adapter, this is not an issue. The
NodeUp is a Harmless event and is basically ignored without a NodeDown to
act on. Hope this makes sense. It really seems to work good though.

        Node is Up
        #!/usr/bin/ksh

        TWO=$2
        THREE=$3
        FOUR=$4

        IP=`host $TWO |cut -d' ' -f3`

        logger -plocal3.debug "$TWO" "$THREE""$FOUR" "UPBDC" "$IP"
        Node is Down

        #!/usr/bin/ksh

        TWO=$2
        THREE=$3
        FOUR=$4

        IP=`host $TWO |cut -d' ' -f3`

        logger -plocal3.debug "$TWO" "$THREE""$FOUR" "DownBDC" "$IP"

        Scott Bursik

        "Westphal, Raymond" <RWestphal@erac.com>
        03/09/2001 03:00 PM
        Please respond to IBM NetView Discussion
<nv-l@tkg.com>@SMTP@Exchange