RE: Network problems preventing status polling and discovery??

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: Network problems preventing status polling and discovery??
From: "Francois Le Hir/Quebec/IBM" <flehir@ca.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 18:28:43 -0400
I believe I have had the same problem and it was solved with IBM AIX
support help.
This is because of the feature "PATH MTU Discovery" that is enable by
default on AIX 4.3.3.
It allow the TCP stack to detect the optimal MTU size (=frame size) when
talking to others hosts. The drawback is that it create a "clone" route for
each of the hosts that the system try to communicate with.
This can a very big number on a Netview box.
The number of "clone" route is probably the reason of the segmentation
fault.

You can disable this feature by entering:
/usr/sbin/no -o tcp_pmtu_discover=0
/usr/sbin/no -o udp_pmtu_discover=0

You will need to add these line in your /etc/rc.net file.
You can also see the status of the variables with: /usr/bin/no -a

netstat -r should show that your default route Flags are now "UG" instead
of "UGc".

Regards,

Francois Le Hir
Network Projects & Consulting Services