Re: Events from unmanaged nodes

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Events from unmanaged nodes
From: "CATALINA MARTINEZ" <CATALINA.MARTINEZ@tlc.state.tx.us>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 07:30:42 -0500
Thanks Leslie,

that puts me in the right direction. both my test and production box are in the
same subnet.

Another Question: if I have two Netview's going, is there anything "different"
i have to do? will I have an increase in traffic? will the "real" netview be
effected?

>>> lclark@us.ibm.com 05/13/01 11:38PM >>>
Catalina, the other discussion was about Netview-generated events, which
come only when the nodes are managed in at least one map. If you are
really talking about events (traps) FROM unmanaged nodes, that is another
story. Managed or unmanaged or not even in the map, unsolicited traps
need to be turned off at the sending device. There is an options on the
events display to suppress traps from unmanaged nodes, but that's on a
per-user basis and you set it each time you open the map.

For porting your map from test to production: This will work if your two
machines
are reasonably close in address (eg same subnet). You will need to take
the whole database  (/usr/OV/databases/openview) as well as the seedfile
and location.conf and the snmp configuration (read up on xnmsnmpconf -exp).
And any other customization you have done. Read about the backup and
restore of the database in the diag manual (I think). Use pax for the
restore.
And... /usr/OV/service/reset_ci after restoring to handle the change in
address
and name within the database.  You will also need to run the mapadmin
command. Yes, practice would be a good idea.

Detroit

"CATALINA MARTINEZ" <CATALINA.MARTINEZ@tlc.state.tx.us>@tkg.com on
05/09/2001 08:38:52 AM

Sent by:  owner-nv-l@tkg.com