RE: Manipulate the SNMP sysLocation field?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: Manipulate the SNMP sysLocation field?
From: "Davis, Donald" <donald.davis@firstcitizens.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 17:32:45 -0400
Scott,
James, of course is right :)

You can add a field to the database and make a pass/fail decision in a
ruleset for forwarding to TEC.
But, you cannot forwarding that field information to TEC, nor can you modify
any of the existing trap variables.
If you want to send something special to TEC based upon what node sourced
the trap, read on.
You will need to setup custom traps in trapd configuration based on "Event
Sources".
Then, have some custom variable (slot mapping) sent to TEC when a trap is
received from the specific node(s).
You can use files as lists of nodes for each special grouping (Routers,
Hubs, Servers, etc...)
I have used this to send a custom event variable to TEC to identify if the
trap was received from a router, hub or server.
The event then receives special(1) processing at TEC if it was from a
router,
special(2) processing if it was from a hub, special(3) processing if it was
from a server or normal processing if it fell through.

Let me know if you need more details.
Hope this helps,
Don Davis