Re: Node Down/Interface Up/ Node UP Events

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Node Down/Interface Up/ Node UP Events
From: "CATALINA MARTINEZ" <CATALINA.MARTINEZ@tlc.state.tx.us>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2001 08:08:27 -0500
The routers are Cisco 1700s. I will check their configuration. and their ios.

In the meantime, I was able to clear one of the traps when I updated the
/etc/host file.

When Support called me after I made the changes to the host file, I asked him
to explain why I would get 3 3 sets of traps (node down/int up, node up) (total
of 9) every time. It seems to me it has to something with name lookup or dns.
These devices are not in dns but /etc/hosts. I asked him to explain netmons
process and the tech said "i did not write the code"

Can anyone explain the process of name resolution and netmon's polling cycle?
Netmon uses names or ip addresses? Are the names on the Map for simplicity of
the user?

Cat
>>> CHANCELLOR.D.ELLIS@customs.treas.gov 10/05/01 03:11PM >>>

What kind of device are these? We have a problem with Cisco 1700 series routers
with a certain level IOS that if the Fast Ethernet port is set to Admin Down
the router continually sends if up/dn traps and netview generates a trap also.

Our solution, since these interfaces are not in use, was to set the keep alives
to zero. This causes netview to show the interface as red on the map though.
Cisco has released a patch for this but our process for implementing an IOS
change is so lengthy it hasn't been updated yet.

Just something else you might want to check into.

"CATALINA MARTINEZ" <CATALINA.MARTINEZ@tlc.state.tx.us>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@tkg.com
10/05/2001 10:22 AM
Please respond to IBM NetView Discussion

During polling cycle I have two nodes that constantly have:
node down, interface up, node up events from Netmon. ATT has checked the
circuit in one of those nodes and they see no problems. I checked the node when
it was "up/green" using a quicktest and I got the same traps/events node
down/interface up/node up.

When i do a ping from the command line I get no packets lost. What is going on
here?