Re: [nv-l] TEC integration with NetView 7.14

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] TEC integration with NetView 7.14
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 21:16:11 +0000
Delivery-date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 21:30:45 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
I would agree with NV 7.1.4, the basic parameters that you need to setup TEC integration, are fairly well documented. What doesn't seem to be documented at all is that the /usr/OV/conf/tecint.conf file (that is where the customisation actually goes), also seems to automatically have 3 lines added by default that say to use the new State Correlation facility. My understanding is that this only works if you have also upgraded your TEC to 3.9. I did a migration from 7.1.3 to 7.1.4 and my forwarding to TEC 3.8 all stopped working until I commented these lines out.

I have found no documentation on what the State Correlation adapter does, nor how it fits with nvserverd????

The XML rule file, /usr/OV/conf/nvsbcrule.xml that configures this state correlation, just calls some customised actions - again no documentation on these actions.......

Referring to my earlier append on servmon and itmquery in NV7.1.4, this is another topic that should be included in my suggested Tivoli Field Guide, documenting what we REALLY have got new with 7.1.4, and how it works.

For the meantime, I have just commented the 3 SCE lines out of my tecint.conf.

Cheers,
Jane

James Shanks wrote:

What do you want to know? There is a Help button on this panel which will attempt to explain all the fields.
Or didn't you install the NetView books?

TEC forwarding is easy to set up but you should not do it blindly. It is recommended that you and TEC guys in your outfit talk at least about whether you desire to use TME or non-TME forwarding. The rest of the fields pretty much fall in to place after you make that decision. What ruleset are planning on using? That's the only thing you didn't ask about. Do you know the level of the TEC server you will send to? Whether it is UNIX or Windows?

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

        *nraaman@chennai.tcs.co.in*
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

12/08/2003 06:07 AM
Please respond to nv-l

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com cc: Subject: [nv-l] TEC intergration with NetView 7.14

Hi,

We are using NetView 7.1.4 on AIX 5.1. I need to intergrate the Tec with NetView with
Event correlation and forwarding. We have installed the netview on TME

TEC IP address : < Ip address of TEC server>

Server port NO : ( ?)

Use TME Transport mechanism : Yes/NO

TME endpoint instance number to use  : <?>

Please help me on this....

Thanks & Regards
N.Raaman(Ramamoorthy)

#### InterScan_Disclaimer.txt has been removed from this note on December 08, 2003 by James Shanks

Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565
Copyright (c) 2003 Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>.  All rights
reserved.