Re: [nv-l] SNMP Polling via a MLM

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] SNMP Polling via a MLM
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 21:24:11 +0000
Delivery-date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 21:31:52 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Sorry - I believe MLMs only do ping polling. My understanding is that if you need SNMP-polling you need to talk to your IBM rep about raising an enhancement request.

Can you not put your MLM on the same side of the firewall as the devices it is polling? Then you just need to open SNMP ports in your firewall between your MLM and NetView to get your information back.

Cheers,
Jane

Seminara, Sandro wrote:

We have a main Netview server, but recently acquired 6 "isolated" networks that have devices which need to be SNMP Polled.

For security reasons we can not open ICMP, SNMP, and SNMPTrap between our main network and each device in these 6 isolated networks.

Or solution is to put 6 MLM's, one in each isolated network, and have them directly poll each device and then report that status back to our main NetView server.

The question is as such.... Can MLM's poll devices with SNMP or are they limited to ICMP?

We are running NetView 7.1.3 (FP01) on AIX.

Thank you,

Sandro Seminara

Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565
Copyright (c) 2003 Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>.  All rights