Re: [nv-l] netview name lookup

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] netview name lookup
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 11:57:59 +0000
Delivery-date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 12:03:54 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
NetView himself has no name-to-address resolution mechanism - he uses whatever the host Operating System uses. That is, if all you have is a hosts file with the NetView box in it, everything else will have IP addresses as labels. It is strongly recommended that you have a reliable DNS employed by the NetView system (preferably with the NetView system acting as a caching / secondary DNS server).

Cheers,
Jane

Christopher J Petrina wrote:

how does netview look attempt to determine the name of a device.
i.e. in my location.conf file I am using names in place of IP addresses for my gateways. How does Netview resolve the name on a AIX box?

Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565
Copyright (c) 2003 Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>.  All rights
reserved.