Re: [nv-l] netview name lookup

To: <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [nv-l] netview name lookup
From: "Jon Austin" <JAustin@cms.hhs.gov>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 15:47:21 -0500
Delivery-date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 20:55:37 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Chris,

   That's because the nslookup command does NOT use the operating
system gethostbyname() APIs call in the way that NetView does when it
does a lookup.

nslookup is a compiled binary program specifically for interfacing to
DNS.

A better test would be to attempt to ping the device.

Ping and netview both use the gethostbyname() API as provided by the
operating system. Therefore ping should behave exactly as you have
configured the OS using netsvc.conf.

Jon Austing.

>>> cjp8@meadwestvaco.com 12/22/03 03:38PM >>>
I verified on the AIX box that netsvc.conf is setup as
hosts-local,bind. I
then tried doing a NSLookup by device name from the box and it returned

only that it could not find it in the DNS server.  I did verify that it

was in the /etc/hosts file though.  That is where I guess I am asking
about Netview.  Does it just execute a nslookup when it receives a
device
name?

Thanks
Chris Petrina