RE: [nv-l] Same device multiple times

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Same device multiple times
From: "Alan E. Hennis" <Hennis_Alan_E@cat.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 12:31:49 -0600
Delivery-date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 18:41:34 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

I think you are on the right track but the is a bit more. Let us say that
for this example tour router has the following interfaces with the listed
IP addresses. I will also assume that the masks are /24.

      Loopback0   192.168.100.1
      Ethernet0   192.168.101.1
      Serial0           192.168.102.1

Your location file looks like this now. I am assuming that you either
create this location manually or have other entries defining this location
in the seed file that you have not sent us. Note: This line does not create
a location container.

      LOCATION1    192.168.100.1

Try this. This basically tells NetView to build your location container,
add to it the three networks 192.168.100.0, 192.168.101.0 and 192.168.102.0
and add the router/gateway 192.168.100.1 to the location container. If you
do not tell NetView what to do with the other two networks that are on the
router NetView will probably place them on the IP map. This puts some of
the networks that your router connects to in your location and some at a
higher level map. This makes NetView have to select either your location
container of the higher level map. The rules that NetView follows are to
select the higher level map.

      LOCATION1    192.168.100.0 GENERIC
      LOCATION1    192.168.101.0 GENERIC
      LOCATION1    192.168.102.0 GENERIC
      LOCATION1    192.168.100.1

I am curious as to where the other networks that you router uses are placed
on the map.

Thanks
Alan E. Hennis
Caterpillar Inc.
Systems+Process Division
309.494.3308
hennis_alan_e@cat.com

                      "Duppong, Jason"

                      <jason.duppong@th

                      omson.com>

                      Sent by:

                      owner-nv-l@lists. To: "'nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com'"
<nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
                      us.ibm.com        cc:

                      02/23/2004 12:06

                      PM                  Subject:      RE: [nv-l] Same device
multiple times
                      Please respond to

                      nv-l

Caterpillar: Confidential Green                 Retain Until: 03/24/2004
                                                Retention Category:  G90 -
                                                General
                                                Matters/Administration

Hi,
I'm curious if someone would verify something related to this discussion,
the way I understand the documentation wouldn't someone be able to do this
in their location.conf file:

LOCATION1    192.168.100.1

As long as LOCATION1 is previously defined, Netview should place a router
with an interface address of 192.168.100.1 into the container LOCATION1,
right?  The examples in the location.conf file call this a gateway entry.
The examples indicate that both names and IP addresses are usable for
gateway entries, but I remember someone previously saying on this list that
only IP addresses are valid in a gateway entry.  In my situation I have
300+ routers that I currently hide from the IP Map that should be in their
own container as they are all defined with their respective loopback
address as a gateway entry.  Maybe I should use the router name instead?

Jason