Re: [nv-l] FIXED - HP Printer Traps error

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] FIXED - HP Printer Traps error
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 09:35:32 -0400
Delivery-date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 14:36:02 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Of course you can!  LOGONLY is just the default.  You can change anything
you like about the way those traps are formatted.
mib2trap is just a convenience routine.  The only things it took from the
MIB were the enterprise name and OID and the specific trap number and its
label.  Everything else is up to you.  mib2trap provides the simplest, most
innocuous defaults and you can change those anyway you like.

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

             usman.taokeer@s-i
             ii.com
             owner-nv-l@lists.         nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
             us.ibm.com                                                 cc

                                                                   Subject
             10/14/2005 01:45          Re: [nv-l] FIXED - HP Printer Traps
             AM                        error

             Please respond to
                   nv-l

James,

Thank you very much, adding a space solved the problem! Now i have all the
traps listed in trapd.conf. There is just one problem that all the traps
are added as "LOG ONLY" this will not show the event when the trap comes
can i change that to "Error Events" so that the appear in the Event console
as well!

Regards,
Usman
Si3.

 James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
 Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
                                                    nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
 13-10-05 06:27 PM                                                      cc

                                                                   Subject
            Please respond to                       Re: [nv-l] HP Printer
          nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com                     Traps error

Edit the MIB and insert a space between "::=" and "1".  Then try again.
The code parses on spaces, and it doesn't recognize "::=1" as being the
same as "::= 1"

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

            usman.taokeer@s-i
            ii.com
            owner-nv-l@lists.         nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
            us.ibm.com                                                 cc

                                                                  Subject
            10/13/2005 12:29          Re: [nv-l] HP Printer Traps error
            AM

            Please respond to
                  nv-l

Hi James,

I tired that(mib2trap) but its giving me the following error:

C:\HP Printer MIBs>mib2trap trapmib.mib hptrap.bat
        Errors - no script generated.
Error defining TRAP-TYPE: Expected '::=', found (::=1): On or around line
44

here's what is on from line 40-44:

periphStatusChange TRAP-TYPE
               ENTERPRISE        net-printer
               DESCRIPTION
                       "The status of the peripheral has changed"
       ::=1

I can send the entire mib file containing all trap definitions for your
reference as well if you say so!

Regards,
Usman Taokeer
Si3.

James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
                                                   nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
10-10-05 07:47 PM                                                      cc

                                                                  Subject
           Please respond to                       Re: [nv-l] HP Printer
         nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com                     Traps error

regard and I cannot emphasize this often enough.

The "no format message" from trapd means that there is no definition for
this trap in trapd.conf.
To add a definition, you either manually configure it with Trap Settings,
using the detailed information in trapd.log or you use the addtrap command.
If you have a MIB which describes those traps, then you can use mib2trap on
the MIB file to create an addtrap script.
But merely loading the MIB will not help.

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

           Michael_Noonkesse
           r@bluecrossmn.com
           owner-nv-l@lists.         nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
           us.ibm.com                                                 cc

                                                                 Subject
           10/10/2005 10:27          Re: [nv-l] HP Printer Traps error
           AM

           Please respond to
                 nv-l

Okay I'm sorry the reason you are getting the "unknown format msg is you
do not have the correct mib loaded for the device that is sending the
trap.
Can you identify the model of the printer that is sending the
traps?www.mibdepot.com is a good resource for mibs
I don't process anything from printers so I may not be any further help.
with configs-

Use >Options>Load/Unload SNMP Mibs  drop down from the Netview GUI to
add(load) new mibs,. ( Handy to know the location of the file  before hand
though)

But if you don't want to see that msg, use >Options> Event Configuration:
Trap customization and set it to not log and not display. Do not forward
etc etc.

Regards,

Mike Noonkesser
Office 651-662-1012
Fax    651-662-2279

usman.taokeer@s-iii.com
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
10/09/2005 10:58 PM
Please respond to
nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
cc

Subject
Re: [nv-l] HP Printer Traps error

Micheal,
Thats great i would use that to compile a rule for it for TEC, but what
should i do with Netview events.... will that fix the problem in NV as
well? Do i need to edit the trapd.conf file??

Regards,
~Usman

Michael_Noonkesser@bluecrossmn.com
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
08-10-05 02:06 AM

Please respond to
nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
cc

Subject
Re: [nv-l] HP Printer Traps error

Run : /usr/OV/bin/mib2trap <MIB NAME>.mib <MIB NAME.trap <MIB NAME>.baroc

>From the dir you mib is in run mib2trap with output file being
hpstuff.trap and hpstuff.baroc being the baroc that will be loaded to TEC
if you are forwarding to TEC

mib2trap assists in event customization.

Usage:
     <mib file> is your input mib definition file,
     <output file> will contain a series of 'addtrap' commands,
     <baroc file> will contain baroc statements to be used with T/EC.
     <base class> indicates the base class for the optional baroc fil

Regards,

Mike Noonkesser
NV 7.1.3 Solaris

John M Gatrell <John.Gatrell@uk.ibm.com>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
10/07/2005 03:15 AM
Please respond to
nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
cc

Subject
Re: [nv-l] HP Printer Traps error

You need to run the addtrap command with suitable parameters.

The infomation comes either from running mib2trap on the HP MIB and
capturing the output
in a script file. You can ignore errors from the rest of the mib as long
as something appears in the script file.

Or manually from looking in trapd.log.
In particular you need the 'Enterprise' number and the 'Specific' trap
number.

I seem to remember running mib2trap on a Unix version of Netview,
and taking the script across to the windows version, renaming it as a
'.bat'

It should also be possible to do the same through the graphical interface.

John Gatrell

>NV 7.1.4 FP03
>SA
>Windows 2000 SP4
> I am having a large number of errors on Netview stating
> 'trap found with no know format in trapd.conf' what do i need to do get
it fixed?
> The traps are coming from a HP network printer.

----------------------------
Important news about email communications:

If our business rules identify sensitive information, you will receive a
ZixMail Secure Message with a link to view your message. First-time
recipients will be asked to create a password before they are granted
access. To learn more about ZixMail, ZixCorp Secure Email Message Center,
and other ZixCorp offerings, please go to
http://userawareness.zixcorp.com/secure4/index.php
----------------------------

The information contained in this communication may be confidential,
and is intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above.
If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or
copying of this communication, or any of its contents, is strictly
please return it to the sender immediately and delete the original
message and any copy of it from your computer system. If you have
any questions concerning this message, please contact the sender.

Unencrypted, unauthenticated Internet e-mail is inherently insecure.
Internet messages may be corrupted or incomplete, or may incorrectly
identify the sender.